27 June 2013

No, none or neighter

No and none

1. We use no ( = ‘not a’, ‘not any’) immediately before a noun.
no +noun
  • No airplane is 100% safe.
  • There’s no time to talk about it now.
Before another determiner (for example the, my, this), we use none of.
We also use none of before a pronoun.

none of + determiner + noun
none of + pronoun

  • None of the keys would open the door.
  • None of my brothers remembered my birthday.
  • None of us speaks French.
When we use none of with a plural noun, the verb can be singular (more formal) or plural (more informal)
  • None of my friends is/are interested.
2. We can use none alone without a noun.
  • How many of the books have you read. None.
3. When we talking about two people or things, we use neither, not none
Neither of my parents could be there. (NOT none of….)
  

Read our previous post: For, during and while

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment