24 June 2013

Other ways to say laughed

whoop /wuːp/ verb [ I ]
to give a loud, excited shout, especially to show your enjoyment of or agreement with something
The audience was whooping and clapping.
  
whoop it up - informal
to enjoy yourself in a noisy and excited way

whoop /wuːp/ noun [ C ]
a loud, excited shout, especially showing your enjoyment of or agreement with something
When the whoops and cheers had finally died down he started to speak.  

whoopee /ˈwʊp.i/ /ˈwuː.pi/ exclamation
a loud, excited shout of happiness
Whoopee, it's the holidays!

whoops /wʊps/ exclamation ( also oops ) informal
an expression of surprise or feeling sorry about a mistake or slight accident
Whoops! That's the second time I've spilt coffee today!

whooping cough /ˈhuː.pɪŋˌkɒf/ /-ˌkɑːf/ noun [ U ]
a disease caught especially by children, which causes severe coughing

guffaw /gʌfˈɔː/ /-ˈɑː/ verb [ I ]
to laugh loudly, especially at something stupid that someone has said or done
He guffawed with delight when he heard the news.
 guffaw noun [ C ] She let out a loud guffaw.

grin /grɪn/ noun [ C ]
a wide smile
I assumed things had gone well for him as he had a big grin on his face.
a broad/sheepish grin
 grin /grɪn/ verb [ I ] -nn-
to smile a wide smile
He grinned at me from the doorway.
What are you grinning about?

grin and bear it - Idiom
to accept something bad without complaining
I really don't want to go but I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.
grin/smile from ear to ear - Idiom
to look extremely happy
'We've had a fantastic response,' he said, grinning from ear to ear.
  
bellow /ˈbel.əʊ/ /-oʊ/ verb [ I or T ]
to shout in a loud voice, or (of a cow or large animal) to make a loud, deep sound
[ + speech ] "Keep quiet!" the headmaster bellowed across the room.
We could hear the sergeant bellowing commands to his troops.
 bellow noun [ C ]
He gave a bellow of rage.

chuckle /ˈtʃʌk.l ̩/ verb [ I ]
to laugh quietly
She was chuckling as she read the letter.
chuckle noun [ C ]
He gave a chuckle in response to her question.

snigger /ˈsnɪg.ə r / /-ɚ/ verb [ I ] ( US also snicker )
to laugh at someone or something in a silly and often unkind way
They spent half the time sniggering at the clothes people were wearing.
What are you two sniggering at/about ?
 snigger noun [ C ]
We were having a snigger at the bride who was rather large and dressed in a tight pale pink dress.
  
shriek /ʃriːk/ noun [ C ]
a short, loud, high cry, especially one produced suddenly as an expression of a powerful emotion
shrieks of delight
He suddenly let out a piercing shriek.
shriek /ʃriːk/ verb [ I or T ]
to make such a cry
We shrieked with laughter when we realized how stupid we'd been.
I tried to apologize, but he just shrieked abuse at me.
[ + speech ] "Don't you dare do that ever again!" she shrieked.

cackle /ˈkæk.l ̩/ verb [ I ]
1. to make the loud, unpleasant sound of a chicken
The hens cackled in alarm.
2. disapproving to laugh in a loud, high voice
A group of women were cackling in a corner.
a cackling witch 

chortle /ˈtʃɔː.tl ̩/ /ˈtʃɔːr.t ̬l ̩/ verb [ I ]
to laugh, showing pleasure and satisfaction, often at someone else's bad luck
She chortled with glee at the news.
chortle noun [ C ]
I thought I heard a chortle at the back of the room.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment